Wednesday 27 October 2010

Wonderful quote from Graham Stuart

I simply had to post this. As readers are probably aware, Graham Stuart, Chair of the Commons Children, Schools and Families select committee, is currently the home educator's best friend. He understands them and wishes them well. He is our favourite MP. A few days ago, Tania Berlow asked me to post a long string of quotations by Graham Stuart. Here is one which we missed, which really should be appended to anything he is currently saying on the subject of home education:

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/153756/Get-your-child-to-school-and-win-flying-lessons


It is 'tantamount to child abuse not to make sure your children go to school'? And is it really the case that parents should do ' their legal duty and send their children to be educated at school.'? Is there such a legal duty? Is this really what the Chair of the Children, Schools and Families select committee believes? And if so, is he the ideal man to help put together new guidelines for home education? Does anybody see any contradiction between these statements and his current stance? Perhaps it's just me, but as I have said before, I would not trust this man further than I can throw him.

12 comments:

  1. Oh don't be daft, Simon. The whole article was about TRANCY, not home education.

    Text without context is just a con.

    Mrs Anon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooops, truancy.

    I'm sych a vad typisf.

    Mrs Anom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well when somebody feels that parents should fulfil 'their legal duty and send their children to be educated at school.', then I think it quite right to ask about this person's understanding of home education.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'Text without context is just a con'

    I see that you have been browsing through the Readers' Digest handbook of handy aphorisms to make your writing pack more punch. I gave the context, the link to the article. If I had simply posted the quotations alone, that would have been text without context. You seem very quick to defend him. It is to be hoped that you are not another of these 'rent-seeking vulture queens' that we seem to be hearing so much about lately! Or perhaps even worse, you are a 'Princess Pushy' type!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice try, Simon ;-)

    Why DO you dislike him so much? Was he rude to you at the Select Committee or something?

    Mrs Anon

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL! No, not Princess Pushy. I do keep telling you that I'm a nobody, Simon. I'm not, by any stretch of the imagination, a prominent HE'er. I was not an AE'er, so how could I be well-known in the HE community? I would think it highly unlikely you would ever have seen a reference to my name anywhere.

    The context thing? I pinched it from a Bible teacher :-)

    Mrs Anon

    ReplyDelete
  7. 'Why DO you dislike him so much? Was he rude to you at the Select Committee or something?'

    No, not at all. It is a gut feeling, Mrs Anon. He comes across to me as a bit of a chancer, what my grandmother would have called 'a wrong'un'. A little too much oil for my taste. I may of course be wrong about this, we shall see.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 'LOL! No, not Princess Pushy.'

    I was only teasing about that! There are some truly awful terms of abuse being coined for those who are currently playing footsy with Graham Stuart. I have reservations about this myself, as you know, but I am sure that these people are acting for what they see as the best. I think that some of these individuals are becoming even more hated and reviled than I am myself, which is no mean feat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Daily Express have reported Stuart's words as a quote. Do you think he really said those words or do you think maybe that the Express accidently got it wrong? My money is on the latter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 'Do you think he really said those words or do you think maybe that the Express accidently got it wrong? My money is on the latter.'

    I suppose that the same argument could be used for the pro-home education things that he has supposedly said!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Many of the pro-home ed things have been typed directly by him rather than via journalists though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The things he said in this article are NOT anti-Home Education! They are anti-Truanting, more specifically, anti Parent-Condoned Truanting. That was the issue.

    Home Education is NOT a truancy issue.

    Mrs Anon

    ReplyDelete